Date:      Tue, 27 Jun 2000 22:20:19 -0700
From:      Steve Olszewski <skunklove@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   XFree86-aout libs compile problem

Hi there--

When I try to compile the FreeBSD 4 XFree86-aoutlibs (i386), I get this
error message:

>cd /usr/ports/x11/XFree86-aoutlibs/work/lib;  for l in $(ls lib*); do
>/usr/bin/env OBJFORMAT=aout  install -c -s -o root -g wheel -m 555 $l
>/usr/X11R6/lib/aout;  done
>/usr/bin/env OBJFORMAT=aout /sbin/ldconfig -m /usr/X11R6/lib/aout
>ldconfig: Ì: trailing characters ignored
>ldconfig: Ì: No such file or directory
>ldconfig: fzöf
>ldconfig: fzöf
>ldconfig: f<}äf?~f<}Øf?çûÿf?~fÆ?uÄfE¨ÿEÀ
>ldconfig: f<}äf?~f<}Øf?çûÿf?~fÆ?uÄfE¨ÿEÀ
>ldconfig: 9Ñt/?
>ldconfig: 9Ñt/?
>ldconfig: èÚÿÿÿ: trailing characters ignored
>ldconfig: èÚÿÿÿ: No such file or directory
>*** Error code 255

As a workaround, I manually moved all the libs in the package to a
directory I created (/usr/X11R6/lib/aoutlib) and ran this command:

ldconfig -aout -m /usr/X11R6/lib/aoutlib

This allows me to use Netscape, etc., but I have to re-run the command
each time I boot.  Not a huge problem, but still, it would be nice to
have it correctly installed so that I don't have to worry about it.  I
am not a linked-library guru by any means.

On the FreeBSD bugs list it has this to say about these libs:

>usr/X11R6/lib/aout libraries screwed up

>Confidential
>     no
>Severity
>     non-critical
>Priority
>     low
>Responsible
>     freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
>State
>     open
>Class
>     sw-bug
>Submitter-Id
>     current-users
>Arrival-Date
>     Fri May 28 19:30:01 PDT 1999
>Last-Modified
>     never
>Originator
>     Denis DeLaRoca <delaroca@ucla.edu>
>Release
>     3.1 and 3.2
>Environment

>     FreeBSD acacia.cts.ucla.edu 3.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 3.1-RELEASE #10:
>Tue Apr 27
>17:31:04 PDT 1999
>root@acacia.cts.ucla.edu:/usr/src/sys/compile/ROSEBUD
>i386

>Description

>     The /usr/X11R6/lib/aout libraries installed by both the 3.1 and
>3.2
>releases are screwed up. Launching aout X apps produce undefined symbol

>errors.

>Fix

>     One solution is to replace thos elibraries with the ones shipped
>on the 2.8
>release. A better fix would be to fix the upgrade/install procedure of
>the 3.1
>and 3.2 releases.

I realize that this describes problems with the 3.x releases, but I
wonder if I am encountering a similar problem.  Any help in beating this
beast down to the ground would be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks,
Stephen Olszewski
SMG Move Administrator
Sun Microsystems