Date:      Mon, 25 Aug 1997 20:58:04 -0400
From:      Dan Welch <WELCHDW@wofford.edu>
To:        julian@whistle.com
Cc:        HARDWARE@FREEBSD.org, WELCHDW@wofford.edu
Subject:   Re: graphics terminals

>> What's a good brand and model modest graphics terminal to use with
>> FreeBSD?  Something durable under heavy use and runs on a simple
>> serial link.  Monchrome is ok, color would be nice. Not critical.
>
> another freeBSD PC running X11?
> what speed serial?
> there is of course the tek compatibility stuff
> i don't know if there is software to run that much any more..

I have been recycling old PC's as serial terminals to FreeBSD by
running Kermit on them.  They run at 9600bps mostly, and Kermit's
Tek emulation gives decent 720x348 graphics.  I also run some old
vt10[012]'s and so forth, even a few genuine Tektronix units. Having
a bunch of serial terminals proves to be a useful adjunct to the
workstation network.  The terminals come up quickly and require
little maintenance.  For the more public areas, these simple
terminals seem more secure because they have no disks and no direct
network link.   I'd like to get some more and newer, but with a bit
of graphics support for basic data analysis so they could do at
least as well as Kermit.  Software is not a problem for us so long
as adequate documentation for the terminal can be found.