Date:      Sun, 2 May 1999 17:48:49 -0700
From:      "David Anderson" <DRCAnderson@xtra.co.nz>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re:Help Please - Newbie Adding User

Hi
Ok I have learnt from postings addressing my little problem that I
should use a more specific subject line (eg # adduser fails).
I have set my mailer to plain text, but it seems like I cant turn the
wrapping off - so set for 70 chars width.
I am using version 3.1 FreeBSD (Walnut creek CDS).

I have searched man pages, Greg Lehey's book, various
archives and online docs and have of course followed advice
kindly given from all you olks.

Problem
=========
myname# adduser

> i get the following error report.........
> pwd_mkdb:root uid should be 0
> pwd_mkdb: at line 16
> pwd_mkdb: /etc/master.pwd: Inappropriate file type or format.
>
> (ii) Alternatively using vipw
> pwd_mkdb:root uid should be 0
> pwd_mkdb: at line 16
> pwd_mkdb: /etc/master.pwd: Inappropriate file type or format.
> re-edit the password file? [y]

I can see from vipw that I do have indeed 2 references to
root in the file.

>root:encrypted_password:0:0::0:0:Charlie &:/root:/bin/csh
>root::10:10:root:0:0:root:/home/root:/bin/sh

so I attempt to remove the second one (that has uid set to 10)
and I get

>/etc/pw.0kb345 16 lines, 884 chars
>vipw: rebuilding the data base........

>Write failed file system is full.
>/kernel: pid 350 (pwd_mkdb), vid 0 on /:file system full.

Wow...I check and find root (I'm logged in as) quota is unlimited.
My #dmesg shows
>Real memory = 8388608(8192k bytes)
>avail mem = 5230592(5184 bytes)

ls -s /etc gives
>total 377

My pwd.db is 40 kilobytes, as is the spwd.db
- I notice that everytime I attempt to save the
changes using vipw (a) Leave Editor - Save Changes)
the pw.x file is different. Ok this is a data base file and its
existence is part of a security system (using hash tables
according to docs). My questions are

(i) Am I creating a copy of this particular file everytime
I try to edit it?

(ii) Have I exceeded some sort of limit?

(iii)How can I sort this problem out?

Any help would be much appreciated.

-Dave