Date:      Sat, 27 Jan 2001 21:28:24 +0100
From:      Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Buildworld failure using two disks

On Sat, Jan 27, 2001 at 12:05 -0700, Dionysos wrote:

> Problem solved actually and I should have probably known
> better.  When I created my /usr/obj partition, I had done so
> using partition magic and just created an msdos partition.
> Apparently, though the man page for ln doesn't state this, you
> can't make symbolic links across file systems of different type
> (or at least involving msdosfs).  Once I reformatted it to ufs,
> it all worked fine.

I'm not willing to follow you here.  AFAIK symlinks only contain
a *name* in their origin and neither do they care where they
point to nor what type the destination is of nor if the
destination is in existence at all.  That's the actual point in
symlinks -- they don't have an inode identification the hardlinks
need and thus work across as many filesystem boundaries as you
please whereas hardlinks only work within their own device (read:
partition).

There must have been something else.  If I read your example
right, you tried to combine all the problems that could arise:
link across filesystems (no problem with -s) and thereby replace
an existing dir entry (which _could_ be a problem).

virtually yours   82D1 9B9C 01DC 4FB4 D7B4  61BE 3F49 4F77 72DE DA76
Gerhard Sittig   true | mail -s "get gpg key" Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net