Date:      Sun, 20 Aug 2000 21:43:14 -0500
From:      Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
To:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: QPL license question

On Mon, Aug 21, 2000 at 07:58:14AM +0530, Rahul Siddharthan wrote:

# > This sort of sounds like the GPL to me.  If I write a piece of code
# > that for instance links to libqt, does that also mean that I have to
# > release the code for my application or just my changes if any to the
# > libqt source?
#
# You have to release the source code of your own application.  If you
# don't want to do that, you can buy a commercial license from Troll
# Tech.  According to one of their people (on Freshmeat some time ago),
# they are doing this because they don't believe the GPL can be enforced
# against dynamic linking; if they get clear legal advice that a program
# dynamically linked against a GPL'd library must be released under the
# GPL (which is how the FSF intends it, as opposed to linking with an
# LGPL'd library), they would be willing to use the GPL for Qt too; but
# apparently their lawyers disagree with the FSF on the legal validity
# of this, and it hasn't been tested in court.

That's what I surmised.  One more question if I may.  Let's suppose
I have an application that links against a set of proprietary libraries
and libqt.  I need to release the source for the 'controller' app under
the QPL, but does it infect the proprietary source and require me to
release the code to it as well?

Thanks for the response.

-steve