Date:      Wed, 20 Feb 2002 05:41:40 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: why would my laptop suddenly start failing to probe pccards?

>Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 07:45:03 -0500
>From: Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>

>I've seen this before.

>The solution was an utterly cold shutdown between Win & FreeBSD.  Shut
>off the power, completely; not standby mode, not suspend, not booting,
>not sitting at the BIOS screen, cold shutdown.  Go get a cup of
>coffee.  Sip your coffee and hit the power button.

>Win will occasionally leave the PC Cards in a slightly scrambled
>state.

>IIRC, this has come up before... should it be a FAQ?

Well, what struck me by surprise is when a very similar thing happened
on my laptop, which only runs FreeBSD....

In my case, it happened when I set up my normal -CURRENT slice to run a
kernel based on NEWCARD, then tried a reboot back to -STABLE (different
slice of the disk).  I found that power-cycling the card itself (whether
via pccardc or eject/insert) didn't do the job, but power-cycling the
laptop itself seems to be sufficient (and, evidently, necessary).

The card in question is a Cisco 340 Series 802.11b NIC.  (I tried an
Intel CE3 (xe driver, under -STABLE), but my -CURRENT kernel didn't seem
to recognize it.  I'll see about looking into this in more detail
today.)

I thought the behavior odd when I noticed it first 2 days ago;
yesterday, after building that day's -CURRENT, it happened again.  I
rather expect it to happen today, after I build today's -CURRENT....

Anyhow, seeing the behavior in question occur with a switch between OSs
for which the sources are available may provide enough additional
information to better understand the mechanism in question.

Cheers,
david       (links to my resume at http://www.catwhisker.org/~david)
I believe it would be irresponsible (and thus, unethical) for me to advise,
recommend, or support the use of any product that is or depends on any
Microsoft product for any purpose other than personal amusement.