Date:      Mon, 09 Apr 2012 16:12:49 -0700
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Da Rock <freebsd-ports@herveybayaustralia.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: samba34-3.4.14

Hi--

On Apr 9, 2012, at 4:01 PM, Da Rock wrote:
> To drag this up again, I was thinking about the number of cases I've found like this recently, and I was considering what the most appropriate action to take here. This one is obviously controversial, and I didn't have the time to do more or test further, but for future reference I'd like some clarification.
>
> I'd say a PR is not really appropriate as a response to an issue such as this (unless the maintainer offers no response at all), but should I create a patch to assist the maintainer? Or is that over doing it?
>
> If I were to create a patch, what is the correct (usable) procedure? And for something like this it would be an adjustment to BUILD_DEPENDS, correct?

If you think there is a missing dependency, then doing send-pr with the fix is a reasonable procedure.  However, you might first want to look into what was different in your case from pointyhat, since the builds of samba-3.x worked fine:

  http://pointyhat.freebsd.org/errorlogs/amd64-9-latest-logs/samba34-3.4.14.log
  http://pointyhat.freebsd.org/errorlogs/amd64-9-latest-logs/samba35-3.5.11.log
  http://pointyhat.freebsd.org/errorlogs/amd64-9-latest-logs/samba36-3.6.3.log

Regards,