Date:      Fri, 28 Mar 1997 11:44:27 -0700 (MST)
From:      Wes Peters - Softweyr LLC <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        dkelly@hiwaay.net
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Network printing

I recently said, with respect to printing on HP LaserJet printers:
% BTW, you don't need to worry about converting text to postscript for
% your HP printer; they all default to working like a standard HP printer
% until they see something that looks like a postscript job.

Davice Kelly replied:
> All of them I've tripped upon lately insist on \r\n line termination.

There is a simple escape sequence you can send to the HP to tell it
text lines are terminated with \n only.  A simple filter in your
printcap will allow you to send this escape sequence at the begging of
a print job, and reset the printer at the end.  This will restore the
default setup for any *other* systems that may be using the printer as
well.