Date:      Thu, 16 Oct 1997 19:19:09 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Marco Molteni <molter@logic.it>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mail account only, no login

On Thu, 16 Oct 1997, Michael Richards wrote:

> > >[it seems good days to promote qmail ;-)]
> >
> > If you just mean no shell, just put an invalid shell such as
> > /dev/null, and add it to /etc/shells.
>
> If you do that, won't that allow ftp access to that account?

I proposed the qmail solution. With qmail+vqpop, you can have pop
users and/or virtual domains pop users *without* having to add them
in /etc/passwd at all. Also, if you use an entry in /etc/passwd
with a (invalid) shell which is listed in /etc/shells, you allow ftp
access to that account. To disable ftp access, you can add the user
to /etc/ftpusers (assuming you are using FreeBSD ftpd).

Marco Molteni
Computer Science student at the Universita' degli studi di Milano, Italy.
                 "Whuffo you jump out of them airplanes?"