Date:      Thu, 31 Dec 1998 15:54:29 -0700 (MST)
From:      Bryce Newall <data@dreamhaven.net>
To:        FreeBSD Questions List <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Boot - can't find kernel

Greetings all,

A friend of mine and I are in a bit of a pickle.  We each run a FreeBSD
machine (he runs 2.2.6-STABLE, I have 2.2.8-STABLE).  We were doing a bit
of drive swapping, including both machines' root drives.  His went from
IDE to SCSI, while mine stayed SCSI but went to a larger drive.  We're
both faced with the same problem, though:  When we set up the labels (we
put / and /var on the same drive but in separate sections), the disk
labeler insisted on calling them sd0s1e and sd0s1f (aka sd0e and sd0f).
The problem is that when the boot loader comes up, it looks for the kernel
on sd0a, and of course, can't find it, and goes "help meeeeeee, I need a
kernel" until someone types in "sd(0,e)kernel" at the console.

I've tried 2 methods to solve this problem, and neither has worked.  The
first was to create a boot.config file with the line "0:sd(0,e)kernel" in
it.  Unfortunately, seeing as how the boot loader is trying to look in
sd(0,a), it can't find that file either.  The second was to issue this
command from the shell:  "nextboot -b /dev/rsd0 sd(0,e)kernel"  That
didn't seem to have any effect either, since when we rebooted, it still
tried to look at sd(0,a), and of course, failed to find anything there.

What I'm wondering is, is there any way at all to get the machines to
default to sd(0,e)kernel ?  My machine is now located about 750 miles away
from me, and it would be difficult to walk down and type something in at
the console if it dies... :)

Thanks in advance for any help, and if you reply to the list, please also
cc: me directly, as I will see it much sooner that way.

Happy New Year, everyone!