Date:      Mon, 01 Nov 1999 23:08:04 -0200
From:      Gustavo V G C Rios <grios@ddsecurity.com.br>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Secondary IDE cannot be detected

I am really sorry to post here a problem that's not related to hacking,
but i have already sent many posts to questions@freebsd.org without a
solution to my problem.

I am trying to get my Secondary IDE detected, but FreeBSD DOES NOT
detect it!
This device is working well under another OS like Linux and Win98 (i
have 3 OSes in my machine), so i believe there is no hardware problems.

Any way here goes some important information about my system (only
relevant part)

Dmesg output:

wdc0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14 on isa
wdc0: unit 0 (wd0): <QUANTUM FIREBALL SE8.4A>
wd0: 8063MB (16514064 sectors), 16383 cyls, 16 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S
wdc0: unit 1 (atapi): <  34X CD-ROM/VER 1.D1>, removable, accel, dma,
iordy
acd0: drive speed 687 - 3781KB/sec, 128KB cache
acd0: supported read types: CD-R, CD-RW, CD-DA, packet track
acd0: Audio: play, 255 volume levels
acd0: Mechanism: ejectable tray
acd0: Medium: CD-ROM 120mm data disc loaded, unlocked
wdc1 not found at 0x170
ppc0 at 0x378 irq 7 flags 0x40 on isa
ppc0: Generic chipset (NIBBLE-only) in COMPATIBLE mode
lpt0: <generic printer> on ppbus 0
lpt0: Interrupt-driven port

Comment: It was no funny to see this on my screen, freebsd cannot even
detect it, altough it's compiled into kernel, (wdc1 not found at 0x170).

My kernel config file: (again, only relevant part)

options         "CMD640"        # work around CMD640 chip deficiency
controller      wdc0    at isa? port "IO_WD1" bio irq 14
disk            wd0     at wdc0 drive 0
#disk           wd1     at wdc0 drive 1

controller      wdc1    at isa? port "IO_WD2" bio irq 15
#disk           wd2     at wdc1 drive 0
#disk           wd3     at wdc1 drive 1

options         ATAPI           #Enable ATAPI support for IDE bus
options         ATAPI_STATIC    #Don't do it as an LKM
device          acd0            #IDE CD-ROM
device          wfd0            #IDE Floppy (e.g. LS-120)

--
Message of the day:

    The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody
appreciates how difficult it was.