Date:      Tue, 4 Jul 1995 11:51:05 +0500 (GMT+0500)
From:      "Serge A. Babkin" <babkin@hq.icb.chel.su>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   FBSD & old HDs

I have recently installed FreeBSD on 2 old 386 boxes (we use them
as SLIP-routers). And both times I found a problem with HDUs.

The 1st box was Siemens 386DX40 with 150M XEBEC drive. FreeBSD normally
reported about it during boot phase but then failed to work with it
(it said three times about timeouts and then said that it failed
to read from HDU). This problem was solved by replacing this HDU by
WD Caviar 210M. DOS and BSDI worked OK with the original drive.

The 2nd box was AUVA 386DX40 with 325M Seagate 3391A drive. This box
had given me a big headache with a lot of hiding bugs. Sometimes everything
was going OK, sometimes some programs were killed due to signal 10 or 11,
sometimes even the Boot Manager led to hard reboot instead of booting.
This problem was again solved by replacing this HDU by WD Caviar 210M.
The same Seagate drive works OK in my box (Packard Bell), the only problem
with it is that it's too "green" and wants to sleep after 25 seconds idle
(but being accessed wakes up without problems). MS-DOS and SCO worked OK
with Seagate on AUVA. BTW, SCO doesn't knows about "green" HDUs and
fails to work with it on Packard Bell.

In all cases FreeBSD version was 2.0-950210-SNAP.

May be somebody had the same problems ? It will be very interesting for
me to know why was the problem with 2nd box ?

		Serge Babkin

! (babkin@hq.icb.chel.su)
! Headquarter of Joint Stock Commercial Bank "Chelindbank"
! Chelyabinsk, Russia