Date:      Mon, 30 Mar 1998 06:30:48 +1000 (EST)
From:      Andrew MacIntyre <andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        John Utz <utz@serv.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: why is ghostscript so slow now? did i miss a setting?

On Sun, 29 Mar 1998, Greg Lehey wrote:

> > and it takes an hour to print. lpd sends the head across once every 8
> > minutes or so on a single pass. this is pretty time consuming.
> >
> > this hardware setup has run with gs for a couple years now, this is sort
> > of surprising.
>
> That's a good piece of information.  I suspect you might be running
> into problems with interrupts.  If the line printer driver doesn't get
> any interrupts, it transfers about one character per second.  That
> sounds like what's happening to you.
>
> Before you go chasing the wrong problem, try this:
>
>  # lptcontrol -p
>
> If you're not using /dev/lpt0, use the -u option to describe which
> unit *number* (1 or 2) you are using.  See the man page for further
> details.
>
> This will turn the printer port on in polled mode.  The result should
> be much faster if the interrupts are the problem.

I installed Debian 1.3.1 (mu choice of Linux dists when I'm not allowed to
use FreeBSD) on a system at work recently and noticed that the default
lpt0 configuration was polled.  Previous installs with much older kernels
had given interrupt driven lpt?s.

Just makes me wonder whether the incidence of funny parallel port IRQ
handling (port assignments with lpt? in DOS land have always been odd) is
on the increase, possibly in conjunction with a move to PnP IRQ assignment
by motherboard manufacturers (I've heard rumblings about this with serial
ports).

E-mail: andrew.macintyre@aba.gov.au    (work) | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au  (play) |        Belconnen  ACT  2616
Fido:   Andrew MacIntyre, 3:620/243.18        |        Australia