Date:      Sat, 28 Sep 1996 14:26:41 +0100 (BST)
From:      wb2oyc@cyberenet.net
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org

Hi,

I've been running Linux for about two years, and
recently decided to give FreeBSD a try.  So far,
the experience has been under-whelming!  Several
questions have resulted from my failed attempts to
get a working installation; at least one that is
successful in installing the app's I've requested
thru sysinstall.  The initial install (CD) failed
with the proc filesystem getting filled, and then
the remaining app's selected failed to install.
However, they remain "installed" as far as pkg_add
is concerned, so now that I have a working system I
still can't go back and install them.  How do I get
out of this catch-22?  Plus, can someone explain why
nearly half of the packages in /All are not really
there?  Is this a problem for me because my CD is an
ATAPI?  Whether I try it thru sysinstall or pkg_add
about half of them fail!  Another annoying problem
for me is how do I get bash as  my login shell?  I've
put /usr/local/bin/bash as my shell in /etc/passwd,
but it still doesn't come up that way when I login!

Paul