Date:      Fri, 03 Aug 2012 19:06:49 +0200
From:      Gabor Kovesdan <gabor@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com>
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org, "Simon L. B. Nielsen" <simon@freebsd.org>, www@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RFC: doc/www cleanup

On 2012.08.03. 18:30, Eitan Adler wrote:
>> I can think of two reasons:
>> >(1) It is the trivial and straight way to go to XHTML for now. HTML5 would
>> >be a bigger jump that should be tested more carefully. The current plan is
>> >to do the migration in several phases for better QA. For example, for now we
>> >are only going to DocBook 4.2/XML, which can still be used with Jade and
>> >DocBook DSSSL. Going to full XML-based standards and newer DocBook version
>> >will be a next step that requires more testing.
> It is harder to move to XHTML than it is to move to HTML5.

Could you elaborate this more?

One issue with HTML5 is that we still want offline validation (not just
well-formedness check) and there's no official schema. We have to write
one or find one that is already written by someone and is reliable
enough. Secondly, HTML5 isn't used widely yet and it would be nice to
really be able to evaluate its usage for our docs in spite of all of its
"awesomeness".

In general, please consider that we have a really ancient technology set
in use at the moment and we cannot risk big jumps by suddenly replacing
everything. We have to catch up now with the upgrades that haven't done
for a long time. I'm not against using UTF-8 and HTML5 and thorough
testing and QA are important factors.

I think something like this is a realistic upgrade path:

1, DocBook 4.2/XML, DocBook DSSSL, OpenJade, XHTML 1.0  --> currently in
progress
2, DocBook 4.5/XML, DocBook XSL, xsltproc, xmlroff, HTML5  --> need to
evaluate xmlroff for PDF and HTML5
3, DocBook 5.0/XML, DocBook XSL, xsltproc, xmlroff, HTML5, UTF-8 -->
need to evaluate UTF-8 support

Gabor