Date:      Tue, 28 Aug 2001 17:02:20 +0100
From:      Marc Rogers <marcr@shady.org>
To:        Shane Crounse <scc4809@it.rit.edu>
Cc:        security@Freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IP Sharing on a College campus.  Firewall??

Look up NAT on the freebsd site

(http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/natd.html)

and look up NAT on the ipfilter site

either of those options will solve your issues.

In a nutshell you will create a NAT gateway that has 1 real ip. Behind it you
will be able to use whatever reserved (192.168.0.0 etc) addresses that you desire.

The only catch to this is that they will be able to contact the outside world,
but the outside world will not be able to contact them. This means if you want
to set up services like shares / ftp / web services you will either have
to assign real ips to those machines, or learn about transparent proxying /
port redirection.

hope this helps,

Marc Rogers
Technical Director