Date:      Tue, 30 Mar 1999 10:13:55 -0500 (EST)
From:      Spidey <spidey@libdns.qc.ca>
To:        Gerald Pfeifer <pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at>
Cc:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@ucb.crimea.ua>, Rahul Dhesi <dhesi@rahul.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 'make installworld' makes /var/mail world-not-writable

Here my pine is -r-xr-xr-x.

spidey@freed [10:12am] natd$ ls -al /var/mail
total 202
drwxrwxr-x   2 root    mail      512 Feb 25 02:10 ./
drwxr-xr-x  21 root    wheel     512 Mar 29 19:16 ../
-rw-rw----   1 spidey  mail   192431 Mar 30 10:09 spidey
spidey@freed [10:12am] natd$

This is ok for me... Is there a problem with that that I don't know of???

I think that Linux puts the mail dir world writable tho..

my 2 tenths of a cent.

On Tue, 30 Mar 1999, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Mar 1999, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
> > /var/mail was never supposed to be world-writable.
> > The proper mode for it is 0775.
>
> Nope, the proper mode for /var/mail/ is rwxrwxrwt.
>
> How else is locking supposed to work? Or do you want to run all your mail
> user agents suid root?
>
> Gerald
> --
> Gerald "Jerry" pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at http://www.dbai.tuwien.ac.at/~pfeifer/

When a man lies he murders some part of the world
These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives
All this I can witness any longer
Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home