Date:      Mon, 1 Jun 2015 22:03:22 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        galtsev@kicp.uchicago.edu
Cc:        "Aryeh Friedman" <aryeh.friedman@gmail.com>, FreeBSD FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: best options for a *WORKING* MTA

On Mon, 1 Jun 2015 14:42:58 -0500 (CDT), Valeri Galtsev wrote:
> As someone already
> mentioned (or almost mentioned), you may need to hire some sysadmin to set
> up email system for you (no, I am not available for anything like that).
> Alternatively, you can do it yourself, but it will take weeks and a lot of
> digging into how e-mail works - at least for one's first mail server
> setup, then you will learn a lot by doing. But this will be a lot of work,
> at least for the first time...

It primarily involves reading and testing. The expectation
to "download something from somewhere" and obtain a fully
functional and tailored (!) solution is just unreadlistic.
But after all, running a mail server isn't something magic.
Anyone who is willing to read and think is able to do it,
if he's able to learn the required parts.

This is just one example to learn from:

http://www.spamhaus.org/news/article/719/a-survival-guide-for-the-small-mail-server

Not all examples will be usable 1:1. Most need conclusions
and decisions (for example when the instructions are for
Linux, but you want to use them on FreeBSD).

Additionally to knowledge how e-mail works, you need to know
certain networking tools for diagnostics (such as tcpdump,
telnet, maybe Wireshark). In the case where something does
not work there is a reason _why_ it does not work. Find that
reason, apply the required corrections, and try again. It's
also important to have a good understanding of _what_ is
happening at the moment (more than "it doesn't work").
Commands used and their output are common tools when
addressing "doesn't work" problems. With very small effort,
you can easily conclude what's wrong.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany