Date:      Fri, 26 May 2017 13:10:16 +0200
From:      =?UTF-8?Q?=c5=81ukasz_W=c4=85sikowski?= <lukasz@wasikowski.net>
To:        =?UTF-8?Q?Karli_Sj=c3=b6berg?= <karli@inparadise.se>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with zpool remove of log device

W dniu 2017-05-26 o 12:46, Karli Sjöberg pisze:

> [...]
>     > >
>     > > Hi,
>     > >
>     > > I cant remove log device from pool - operation ends ok, but log
>     device
>     > > is still in the pool (bug?).
>     > >
>     > > # uname -a
>     > > FreeBSD xxx.yyy.com 11.0-STABLE FreeBSD 11.0-STABLE #0 r316543:
>     > Thu Apr
>     > > 6 08:22:43 CEST 2017 root@xxx.yyy.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/YYY amd64
>     > >
>     > > # zpool status tank
>     > > pool: tank
>     > > state: ONLINE
>     > > status: One or more devices are configured to use a non-native block
>     > > size.
>     > > Expect reduced performance.
>     > > action: Replace affected devices with devices that support the
>     > > configured block size, or migrate data to a properly configured
>     > > pool.
>     > > scan: scrub repaired 0 in 22h21m with 0 errors on Thu May 25
>     > > 02:26:36 2017
>     > > config:
>     > >
>     > > NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM
>     > > tank ONLINE 0 0 0
>     > > mirror-0 ONLINE 0 0 0
>     > > ada2p3 ONLINE 0 0 0
>     > > ada3p3 ONLINE 0 0 0
>     > > logs
>     > > mirror-1 ONLINE 0 0 0
>     > > gpt/tankssdzil0 ONLINE 0 0 0 block size:
>     > > 512B configured, 4096B native
>     > > gpt/tankssdzil1 ONLINE 0 0 0 block size:
>     > > 512B configured, 4096B native
>     > >
>     > > errors: No known data errors
>     > >
>     > > When I try to remove log device operation ends without errors:
>     > >
>     > > # zpool remove tank mirror-1; echo $?
>     > > 0
>     > >
>     > >
>     > > You are missing the actual disk you want to remove from the mirror:
>     > > # zpool remove tank gpt/tankssdzil1
>     >
>     > # zpool remove tank gpt/tankssdzil0
>     > cannot remove gpt/tankssdzil0: operation not supported on this type
>     > of pool
>     >
>     >
>     > Yeah, that's because you're booting off of it right? Boot from CD or
>     > whatev, should work. Or if it was the "bootfs" zpool option, can't
>     > remember, but it's something along those lines. Really silly, but
>     anyway...
>
>     Yes, it's root-on-zfs. But as I said on other box with similar
>     configuration it works. Strange.
>
>     It's production box so boot from CD is not an easy option. I'll check it
>     during next service window. Thank you for your help.
>

> AFAIR you just need to null the bootfs zpool option, remove the log disk
> and then reset bootfs to what it was before.

No luck.

# zpool get bootfs
NAME       PROPERTY  VALUE          SOURCE
tank       bootfs    tank/ROOTFS    local
tankssd    bootfs    -              default

# zpool set bootfs='' tank

# zpool get bootfs tank
NAME    PROPERTY  VALUE   SOURCE
tank    bootfs    -       default

[...]

errors: No known data errors

# zpool remove tank gpt/tankssdzil0; echo $?
cannot remove gpt/tankssdzil0: operation not supported on this type of pool
1

--
best regards,
Lukasz Wasikowski