Date:      Wed, 27 Sep 2006 19:38:55 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hi: Porting Cramfs on FreeBSD

Gary Palmer wrote:
 > Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > krishnamurthy holla wrote:
 > > >  I want to port cramfs to freebsd-6.1 ; can anybody give me
 > > > some tips about how to port..
 > >
 > > I think porting cramfs is not a good idea.  It's GPL'ed,
 > > doesn't fully support POSIX semantics, and has severe
 > > limitations (16 MB maximum file size, 256 MB maximum file
 > > system size).
 > >
 > > It is probably better to design a new file system from
 > > scratch (and make it BSD-licensed).
 >
 > For running on a flash card, I'm not sure those limits are unreasonable.

Nowadays, flash cards of 1 GB or even larger are pretty much
standard.  Therefore I think that a 256 MB file system limit
is not reasonable.  A file size limit of 16 Mb is even less
reasonable, IMHO.

(Remember Bill Gate's famous statement "640 KB should be
enough for everybody"? ;-)

 > Also, if you do a implementation from the public data in the headers, is
 > that code also under GPL?

No, I don't think so (but I'm not a lawyer).  But he wrote
that he wanted "to port cramfw", not to do an implementation
of his own, which is a different thing.  But maybe he really
meant the latter.

Best regards
   Oliver

"A language that doesn't have everything is actually easier
to program in than some that do."
        -- Dennis M. Ritchie