Date:      Mon, 28 Aug 1995 21:52:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
To:        Kai Yu <kyu@batchr.ecs.umass.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bsd update

On Mon, 28 Aug 1995, Kai Yu wrote:

> Dear Sir:
>
> 	Could you tell me how to upgrade my current BSD 2.0
> (at least its kernel).
> 	Thank you very much!

Are you referring to FreeBSD?  There was a version 2.0R, but I'm making
sure here, because they are not intercompatible.

There wasn't any upgrade path from 2.0R to the currently available
release version of FreeBSD, 2.0.5R, because changes were made to the
organization of partitions on the disk.  You'll have to back up anything
you can't afford to lose, then reinstall from the 2.0.5 cdrom (or
floppies, or network).  This will completely erase your FreeBSD
partition, so don't leave anything left that you need.

There isn't any other way, I sure wish there was!  I understand that
future releases are planned to allow this, tho, assuming that  major
changes of the same kind aren't needed.

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |