Date:      Mon, 4 Dec 2000 21:50:13 -0700
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@orthanc.ab.ca>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PCIOCGETCONF/PCIOCREAD requires write permission?

On Sat, Dec 02, 2000 at 21:38:19 -0700, Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:

>     >> Is there any reason why the FWRITE test cannot/should not be
>     >> moved down into the 'case PCIOCWRITE' part of the switch? This
>     >> would make both PCIOCGETCONF and PCIOCREAD work for readonly
>     >> access to /dev/pci (which seems to me to be saner behaviour).
>
>     Kenneth> At least with the PCIOCGETCONF, you need write
>     Kenneth> permission, because it copies in patterns to match
>     Kenneth> against.
>
> Does that have to equate with write access? Since you aren't changing
> anything (device-wise) it seems this should be a read-only thing (even
> though you're actually writing into the kernel memory arena).

From your comments below, you apparantly don't have to have write access to
do a copyin.

I would like to have pciconf -l available for normal users, but my only
hesitation is that there could be security implications.  If we can get
someone (i.e. a security type person) to check the PCIOCGETCONF code
carefully for any potential problems, then we can enable it for normal
users.

The code wasn't written with security in mind, so I don't want to open it
up to regular users without a security evaluation.  If we can get that,
then I don't see a problem with allowing read only access for that ioctl.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@kdm.org