Date:      Fri, 16 Sep 2022 10:42:38 -0700
From:      Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
Subject:   Re: Default optimization of rust ports

> Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com> escreveu no dia s=C3=A1bado, =
10/09/2022=20
> =C3=A0(s) 12:53:
>=20
>> Daniel Engberg <diizzy_at_FreeBSD.org> wrote on
>> Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2022 09:45:21 UTC :
>>=20
>>> Since there is work and general interest regarding optimization =
would=20
>>> it
>>> make sense to make LTO and possibly CODEGEN_UNITS=3D1 opt-out while =
we
>>> still have a fairly manageable amount of ports using Rust?
>>=20
>> Just making sure I understand the wording:
>>=20
>> So, in part, you are requesting that the FreeBSD build servers build
>> using LTO and CODEGEN_UNITS=3D1? (Those build servers always use the
>> defaults as I understand. Thus, the defaults are set to what is
>> desired for use on the build servers, if I understand right. Other
>> contexts that happen to want something different override some
>> default(s): opt out of the defaults.)
>>=20
>. . .
>=20
> Hi,
>=20
> The suggestion is to make it default for all ports but we can (and=20
> should) make it opt-out as not all outcomes might be favourable.

opt-out per port? Just globally (all such ports at once)?

(Automatic rebuilds if the opt-out status has changed, at least
in poudriere?)

> These are ENV variables so one wouldn't need to touch individual =
ports.

The ports infrastructure does not have OPTIONS at a more global
level than per-port, as far as I know. (OPTION changes do lead to
automatic rebuilds, at least in poudriere.)

Opting-out of a global ENV definition would be to globally unset the ENV
involved, as far as I can tell.

But may be I've misunderstood the details being suggested.

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com