Date:      Tue, 7 Jul 2015 08:55:25 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
To:        Nikolai Lifanov <lifanov@mail.lifanov.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports ML <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: freebsd-ports Digest, Vol 633, Issue 2

On Tue, Jul 7, 2015 at 6:14 AM, Nikolai Lifanov <lifanov@mail.lifanov.com>
wrote:

> like to
> build

> > I am encouraged to hear there are a couple of different options which
> > could be explored. As I have gone and built the package, I have
> > discovered that I do not actually use the SASL option, but the DOVECOT2
> > option. I now have a couple of questions:
> >
> > 1. What is the difference between DOVECOT{,2} and simply SASL? Is SASL
> > actually Cyrus SASL? After reading the Makefile, I'm not sure.
> >
> > 2. If I actually want the DOVECOT2 and not the SASL option, is it likely
> > I am going to be able to (advocate for and) get a binary package from
> > upstream servers at some point? How can the range of options be handled?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Greg.
>
> I +1 this request. I also use mail/postfix with DOVECOT2 option and this
> is the only blocker for me to use upstream packages on this system.
> Postfix users generally run Dovecot already anyway, so it removes
> another package from the mix as opposed to the SASL option. Cyrus SASL
> is yet another thing to configure separately as well.
>
> - Nikolai Lifanov

As long as nothing depends on postfix, there is no reason not to use
packages for all other ports, lock postfix, and manually
re-build/re-install it when it is updated.
"pkg lock postfix" to lock
"pkg unlock postfix && portmaster postfix && pkg lock postfix" to update.

You can confirm that nothing depends on postfix with "pkg info -r postfix".

This is how I keep FreeBSD up to date on all production systems. I don't
use DOVECOT2. SASL pulls in Cyrus SASL.
--
Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired
E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com