Date:      Wed, 06 Sep 2006 10:49:33 +0200
From:      Erik Norgaard <norgaard@locolomo.org>
To:        "Brian A. Seklecki" <bseklecki@collaborativefusion.com>
Cc:        alfred@FreeBSD.org, doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Jumpstart Guide / PXE Docs (TFTP ONLY)

Brian A. Seklecki wrote:
> These docs should probably more-clearly identify how pxeboot(8) makes
> its decision regarding the file retrieval mechanisms. The man page is
> ambiguous.
>
> Right now the assumption is that the user wants to use NFS to provide
> "/boot".  However TFTP can be used.  I.e., for users who just want to
> load kernel+MFS Install image (i.e., install-only, no live system VIA
> NFS):
>
> As best I can tell, it has to do with the variables contained with the
> DHCP lease offer.  Examples of TFTP-file-retrieval:
>

> I.e.,w e need instructions on:
>
> *) Compiling pxeboot w/o NFS and w/ TFTP support:
>
>    make LOADER_TFTP_SUPPORT=yes
>
> *) Explain troubleshooting inetd(8)/tfpd(8):
>
>   server$ inetd -dl & tail -f /var/log/xfer
>
> *) Explain troubleshooting FTP and NFS:
>
>   server$ tcpdump -n "port tftp"
>
> *) dhcpd(8)/dhcpd.conf(5) examples:
>

> host web00 {
>           hardware ethernet c0:ff:33:c0:ff:33;
>           fixed-address 192.168.0.100;
>           option host-name "web00";
>           option routers 192.168.0.1;
>           # These get PXE Loaded (read by the hardware)
>           filename "/pxeboot";
>           option bootfile-name "/pxeboot";
>           # These are read by PXE itself to move on to 2nd stage
>           option tftp-server-name "192.168.0.50";
>           #option root-path "192.168.0.50:/tftpboot";
>           server-name "192.168.0.50";
>           next-server 192.168.0.50;
> }
>

> The strange thing is that even with the proper config pxeboot(8) still
> attempts to init NFS using "NFS MOUNT RPC error: 60", then gracefully
> fails and continues to TFTP load...

I wrote a PXEBoot guide including jumpstart - work on it started almost
two years ago because I found the current documents inaccurate or
obsolete - seem to date back to 4.x or early 5.x. At the same time I
noted that the diskless stuff is far from current, the document I wrote
covers both setups since the pxebooting is the same, but I have not
finished the diskless part.

The problem with NFS/TFTP you mention have existed for years, I reported
it in 2004: http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/74352

The workaround/solution is documented in the guide I wrote:

a) Compile kernel w/o NFS support and load these as modules after boot
b) Specify in loader.conf that the root device is mfs

I cleaned up the guide I wrote and I posted here some months ago if
anyone would take a look at it:

    http://www.daemonsecurity.com/pub/pxeboot/

Cheers, Erik
--