Date:      Fri, 14 Feb 1997 08:28:34 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Guido.vanRooij@nl.cis.philips.com (Guido van Rooij)
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: blowfish passwords in FreeBSD

In message <199702140913.KAA25549@bsd.lss.cp.philips.com> Guido van Rooij writes:
: It depends. I would very much like it to be compatible with the
: OpenBSD stuff. Did they adapt the $<n>$ scheme and allocate a new number?

Yes.  They are using $2$.

: Further, I think we should not adapt to every new password scheme around.
: It would make the password system unecessarily complex as we will
: have to support every scheme simultaneously. So perhaps first a close
: look at the new stuff should be taken.

I agree with that statement.  However, with people breaking 40 and 48
bit keys in under three weeks now by brute force, a stronger password
scheme is needed.  I think that this is just such a scheme.  I also
agree that we should take a close look at this stuff with an eye
towards merging it in.  The need currently isn't urgent to bring this
in, so it can wait a few days/weeks while the code review goes on.

Warner