Date:      Sat, 2 Oct 1999 09:45:30 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        peter@netplex.com.au (Peter Wemm)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: new sigset_t and upgrading: a proposal

[CC: trimmed to -current]

> > > If you install a kernel before installing world, you can easily recover
> > > when the install world fails: reboot. The new kernel is capable of
> > > running those binaries that got installed before the breakage.

> Read my lips:   *NEVER* do a 'make world' until you've got a new bootable
> kernel.  You can go back to a 'kernel.old' in 5 seconds.  Undoing a 'make
> world' because a new kernel doesn't workd is a major drama.

These folks are 100% correct, some place some where we made a mistake
and are telling users to do things in the wrong order.  It might have
even been myself that caused this, I just can't recall when and who
said to build the world before building the kernel.  But now looking
at it in hindsight, this is plainly the wrong sequence, and we should
correct that error as soon as possible.

When did we go wrong and start saying that users should build the world
before building a new kernel?    If it was ``I'' that said it, I full
retract any such statement, I was WRONG!.  It may have been said in the
patchkit days, or very early FreeBSD 1.x.

--
Rod Grimes - KD7CAX - (RWG25)                    rgrimes@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net