Date:      Sat, 04 Jan 2003 16:52:48 -0800
From:      richard childers / kg6hac <fscked@pacbell.net>
To:        lewiz <purple@lewiz.info>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org, FreeBSD-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Working around problems when an NFS server dies / is unavailable.

I seem to recall a 'nomount' option in fstab(5), the manual page that
describes the contents of the /etc/fstab ('filesystem table') file.

That plus amd(8) should, in theory, get you a relatively stateless NFS
connection.

Personally, I don't trust amd(8). It's not clear to me that it's any smarter
than I am regarding hung NFS file servers.

I've had some success using 'umount -f' to forcibly umount NFS filesystems,
from the client side, in the past.

However, NFS, while stateless in intent, is really not a good
infrastructural element for a plug-and-play network. Plugging in is easy;
unplugging may require an explicit shutdown to properly deallocate
resources.

Hope this is helpful ...

-- richard