Date:      Sat, 25 Sep 2010 06:48:46 -0500
From:      Derek Funk <dfunk6@cox.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Filesystems

On 9/25/2010 2:45 AM, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> On 25/09/2010 08:32:58, Peter Boosten wrote:

>>> ZFS
>>>
>>> or words to that effect.  Linux has nothing comparable.
>>>

>> http://www.osnews.com/story/23416/Native_ZFS_Port_for_Linux
>>
>> :-)
>>
> Yes.  Quoting that very page:
>
> "There's still some major work to be done, so this is not
> production-ready code. The ZFS Posix Layer has not been implemented yet,
> therefore mounting file systems is not yet possible; direct database
> access, however, is. Supposedly, KQ Infotech is working on this, but it
> has been rather quiet around those parts for a while now."
>
> What use is a filesystem you can't mount?  It might be a work in
> progress, but it isn't anywhere near done yet.  The fact that there is
> so much enthusiasm for porting the FS despite the license
> incompatability just underlines the basic contention, that Linux has
> nothing comparable.
>
> 	Cheers,
>
> 	Matthew

Thank you both for the replies.  I think I remember the response from a
time ago as he stated something like: FreeBSD primary focus is server
mostly Web and Router builds and a newer pooling journalize  FS does not
fit with FreeBSD's core of being the most stable and reliable while
maintaining security.

Derek