Date:      Mon, 29 May 2000 08:52:38 +1000
From:      "Doug Young" <oracle@bryden.apana.org.au>
To:        "leegold" <leegold@erols.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re:

> are you going to explain  boot mangers and multiple boots say ws-dos and
> freebsd on the same disk?

The history of my stuff might put the thing in perspective. Basically its
for me first,
then secondly members of Apana (look at the www.apana.org.au for more info),
&
finally anyone else who can make use of it. As I said somewhere in the early
pages my
interest in FreeBSD (or anything else for that matter) is getting it working
the most
straightforward way. I'm not into the needless complication that appears to
be part of
the unix ethos ...... I've never seen the sense in boot managers / multiple
operating
systems. There are to my way of thinking other more reliable means of
achieving the same
results which don't involve all the aggro. (The mailing list archives are
full of tales of woe
about boot managers). For that matter, even a spare system is well within
most people's
budget these days.

For a start. hard drives are as cheap as chips these days, and those nifty
little removable
hard drive gadgets are readily available, so why not give each O/S its own
drive & avoid
all the weird problems that beset boot managers. If you've got more Scottish
(or Jewish is
probably much the same I guess) ancestry than me, you might even be able to
save the
expense of the removable thingy, as modern motherboards have BIOS capacity
to choose
which hard drive boots anyway.