Date:      Tue, 29 Nov 2016 12:52:18 +0100
From:      Vincenzo Maffione <v.maffione@gmail.com>
To:        Steven Crangle <Steven@stream-technologies.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Looking for some help with netmap/bhyve

Hi Steven,
  Thanks for your testing this in HEAD, good news to know that it works ok!

I think there is not going to be much difference between HEAD and 11.0,
because in the end bhyve code didn't really change (for the parts I
touched), and you need to use the latest netmap version (github) anyway,
irrespective of whether you are testing on 10.3, 11.0, head, etc. In other
words, you would be testing approximately the same code. Anyway, if you
happen to test 11.0 by chance please let me know.

What kind of tests did you perform? netmap applications (e.g. pkt-gen), or
netperf/iperf standard TCP/IP tools?
Could you please share the performance number you got for configurations
(A) and (B) (or just the one you tried)?

I think it is useful to compare your results with the ones I collected here
(see the performance evaluation section):

https://wiki.freebsd.org/DevSummit/201609?action=AttachFile&do=view&target=20160923-freebsd-summit-ptnet.pdf

Regarding the crashes, thanks for reporting, I would be nice if you could
describe in more detail how you trigger them (with some higher likelyhood);
also, compiling the kernel with debug symbols should help in understanding
which part of the code is involved in the crash.

Cheers,
  Vincenzo