Date:      Thu, 26 Mar 1998 14:14:54 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        jms@caja-granada.es (Jose Megias Sanchez)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dns lookup by ip-address wrong

In a previous message, Jose Megias Sanchez said:
> When I try to look for a machine of my lan by its ip-address then name return is wrong. For example I use the command nslookup jms, the answer is:
>
> 	Server:  mulhacen.caja.es
> 	Address:  0.0.0.0
>
> 	Name:    jms.caja.es
> 	Address:  130.130.105.3
>

> if I try the command nslookup 130.130.105.3, the answer is:
>
> 	Server:  mulhacen.caja.es
> 	Address:  0.0.0.0
>
> 	Name:    jms.130.130.in-addr.arpa
> 	Address:  130.130.105.3
>
> where the name return is different. What's wrong?

I'd say your reverse lookup table is wrong. A PTR record
wants to point to a fully qualified name. ie:

$ORIGIN 105.130.130.in-addr.arpa.
3	IN	PTR	jms.caja.es.

Be sure to have the . at the end.

--
If you saw a lawyer riding down the road on a bicycle, why wouldn't you
swerve to hit it?               It's probably your bike!