Date:      Thu, 31 Aug 1995 01:41:30 -0700
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        paul@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        paul@FreeBSD.org, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Dependencies

 * Not really, the paths will can be relative to the tree root.

This still won't help, the X ports (technically) don't know where the
"local" tree is.  The opposite is true too.

 * and the mk file will know what these are relative to. We could also check
 * /usr/local/* as a fallback in case binaries have been hand installed,
 * if they're installed anywhere besides /usr/local or the ports root then
 * it's too non-standard and we can just abort.

Given the above, I don think this accomplishes much more than my older
suggestion ("check /usr/local/bin and /usr/X11R6/bin regardless of the
$PATH").  Ok, maybe we check ${PREFIX}/bin too. :)

 * We can improve things a lot from where we currently are but it does
 * complicate things that much more. In this case I think it's worth it
 * though. Having PPP start up and download something I already have is
 * really bad.

The last sentence I can agree, but requiring all the exec_depends'
pathnames is a little too much.  The three "default" cases (see above)
should cover most of what we need.

Satoshi