Date:      Sat, 14 Aug 1999 21:35:03 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   disk performance model

I have spent a few hours trying to figure out a model for the access
time of one of my disks.  (I wondered to what extent and what way
the length of a seek affected the time it took to perform it.)

I set up a small program to read random places on the disk, timing
each request, and logging the previos sectornumber, this sectornumber
and time it took.

The program ran in user space so there is some finite overhead included
in the below model for the userland to kernel transition.  I collected
about 100k samples for various transfersizes.

This information may or may not give any meaning/inspiration/insight
in the current performance discussions...

The disk is in a PII/400MHz system:

ata1: master: setting up UDMA2 mode on PIIX4 chip OK
ad1: <IBM-DJNA-371800/J78OA30K> ATA-4 disk at ata1 as master
ad1: 17206MB (35239680 sectors), 34960 cyls, 16 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S
ad1: piomode=4, dmamode=2, udmamode=2
ad1: 16 secs/int, 31 depth queue, DMA mode

Model variables:

	size of transfer in sectors -> SZ
	number of sectors between last request and next one -> D

Model:

	if (D < 1.25e7)
		Tseek = D ** .42 * 8.05e-6 + .00175
	else
		Tseek = (D - 1.25e7) * 2.4e-10 + .00945

	Trotation = random(0 ... .008.5)

	Taccess = Tseek + Trotation + 36e-9 * SZ

Comments:

It should be noted that the place where this model has the worst fit
is where it is most interesting:  values of D < 1.5e6 where the model
underpredicts by up to a millisecond.

Above 1.5e6 the model predicts better than +/- 500usec.

The disk has larger media transfer rate rimwards than hubwards, but
this doesn't manifest itself in the data for SZ < 100

I have no idea what this means in terms of  UFS/FFS parameters...

FreeBSD -- It will take a long time before progress goes too far!