Date:      Tue, 30 Oct 2012 11:12:22 +0000
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz_lst@tdx.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Threaded 6.4 code compiled under 9.0 uses a lot more memory?..

Hi All,

Can anyone think of any quick pointers as to why some code originally
written under 6.4 amd64 - when re-compiled under 9.0-stable amd64 takes up
a *lot* more memory when running?

The code involved is a sendmail Milter, and a TCP server type program (that
runs up a large number of threads [~700] at startup).

Both were previously compiled with:

 -O2 -pthread -lc_r

They're now compiled under 9.0-S with just:

 -O2 -pthread

As an example, under 6.4 the size/res for one reported by top is 81Mb/48Mb
- and for the other is 44Mb/9Mb [this is after it's been running for weeks].

Under 9.0-stable the initial memory used by the processes just after
starting rises to 625Mb/128Mb and 519Mb/65Mb respectively.

Is that something I need to worry about?

They've not been running longing enough yet to see if anything is 'leaking'
(i.e. if size/res continues to go up). Just thought I'd ask if there's a
simple/possible explanation for this - and if it's something I need to
worry about...

Thanks,

-Karl