Date:      Sun, 6 Dec 2015 12:02:54 +0200
From:      Jukka Ukkonen <jau789@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org, Stefan Parvu <sparvu@kronometrix.org>
Subject:   Re: Raspberry Pi Zero

On 12/06/15 09:21, Stefan Parvu wrote:

>> I haven’t looked, but most likely a new u-boot and/or other firmware is required.
>
> Talking about this, reminds me something I always wanted to ask.
>
> Q: cant we deliver one image for RBPI, RBPI2, RBPI0 boards for example ?
> Currently one has to download & use a different image for a different
> board. Linux Raspbian does not have this model.
>
> Why is this on FreeBSD ARM ?
>
> thanks,

I guess there is also the little issue that because
RPI2 supports hardware floating point operations,
it also makes sense to compile the user space with
the hardware floating enabled. So, in addition to
separate kernels one might quite reasonably wish to
have also separate user space libraries and binaries.
Additionally RPI2 needs SMP support RPI-B does not.
If the same common image had to support both, the
image would end up being suboptimal for both.

--jau