Date:      Wed, 16 Nov 2016 17:52:33 -0800
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
To:        Zeus Panchenko <zeus@ibs.dn.ua>
Cc:        "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: is lagg (re+wlan) working on 11.0-RELEASE?

On Wed, Nov 16, 2016 at 1:34 AM, Zeus Panchenko <zeus@ibs.dn.ua> wrote:

> thanks for quick reply
>
> J.R. Oldroyd <fbsd@opal.com> wrote:
> > There is a work-around.  Configure the re interface with the MAC
> > address of the wlan instead of the other way around.
>
> I done it and here is what happens:
>
> 1. I boot notebook with wire *not* plugged in,
>    wlan is up, associated and authed, network is OK
>
> 2. I plug wire and network becomes stale
>
> 3. I run `tcpdump -ni lagg0' to see what's going on and oh wonder,
>    network comes back lo life!
>

> so ... either to not to use lagg or run tcpdump constantly ... it is
> rather weird :(
>
> --
> Zeus V. Panchenko                               jid:zeus@im.ibs.dn.ua
> IT Dpt., I.B.S. LLC                                       GMT+2 (EET)

A bit odd, but not weird. Running tcpdump turns on promiscuous mode. Try
"tcpdump -p"  and I'm pretty sure it will not make any difference.

The real question is where the fault lies. It looks like the problem may be
in the re(4) driver. It looks to me like the "new" MAC address is not
getting properly instantiated so that packets to that MAC address are being
ignored. It is also possible that the packets are being sent to the correct
IP address, but the wrong MAC. (Pretty unlikely, though.)

What does ipconfig re0 show? Is the MAC correct? Capture traffic (tcpdump
-pe dst host LAGG-IP-ADDRESS) and confirm that the MAC and IP addresses are
correct. If they are, the issue is either hardware or the driver.

Since re-writing the MAC is a fairly uncommon operation so it is possible
that the firmware has an issue and it may be specific to a less common re
variant. Of course, slight differences in hardware revisions can trigger
driver issues that don't break things on most variants. And, lest I knew,
RealTek did not provide documentation adequate to write a driver and this
makes drivers more likely to have subtle bugs.
E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com