Date:      Wed, 12 Jan 2000 13:29:16 -0600 (CST)
From:      Alex Charalabidis <alex@wnm.net>
To:        Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>
Cc:        Jannie Hofmeyr <hofmeyrs@iafrica.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IRC?

On Wed, 12 Jan 2000, Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai wrote:

> [Try to wrap your lines at somethig like 72 chars, thanks]
>
> -On [20000112 17:50], Jannie Hofmeyr (hofmeyrs@iafrica.com) wrote:
> >From what ive heard about FreeBSD, it's definitly one of the best OS's
> >out there... However, Im interested in running an IRC server, but not
> >willing to go through the efforts of coding it myself. So what I was
> >wondering is, are there any packages out there, or is it possible for
> >me to bring wIRCD and services (LakeServ) across (wIRCD, being my
> >windows server I use), to the FreeBSD operating system?
>
> Not sure.  Is this C code or C++ code?  Does it depend on Windows
> specific functions?

You really don't want to bother porting a windows ircd to Unix. There's
already a decent selection of good software.

> I prefer an ircd like Undernet's (which works great) or EFNet's.

EFnet ircd (hybrid) is in the ports collection under ircd-hybrid. There's
also Christophe Kalt's ircd, used on IRCnet, in /usr/ports/irc/irc. Ircu
isn't in the ports at all.

> Both are free to download and install and are very very good.

Neither hybrid not irc-2.10.1 (which is outdated, by the way) support
services. You will probably end up running ircu (ftp.undernet.org) with
Espernet's services package (ftp.esper.net) unless you plan on digging
around on freshmeat for more obscure and less tested things.

hth

-ac

Alex Charalabidis (AC8139)            5050 Poplar Ave, Ste 170
Systems Administrator                        Memphis, TN 38157
WebNet Memphis                                  (901) 432 6000