Date:      Thu, 8 Apr 1999 10:56:18 +0930 (CST)
From:      Mark Newton <newton@internode.com.au>
To:        grog@lemis.com (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        k.stevenson@louisville.edu, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Separate boot partition?

Greg Lehey wrote:

 > > In the case of an extended vinum, would it even be necessary for the boot
 > > device to be mounted after the system is running?
 >
 > No.  That's the whole point.  The boot partition does not run under
 > Vinum, so it's not failure-tolerant.  If we needed it, it would be a
 > weak point in the implementation.

With Online Disksuite on Solaris systems you can mirror the root
filesystem;  You boot from one of the mirrors as if it's a normal
ufs filesystem, and very soon after booting it does the ODS configuration
stuff to bring mirrors online and remounts root.

It means that you may have to boot manually (to pick an alternative
mirror) if your "primary" boot device fails, but you still get the
advantages of mirroring on your root filesystem.

You can't stripe or concatenate it, though.  I guess that counts as
a different weak point in the implementation :-)

    - mark

----
Mark Newton                             Email:  newton@internode.com.au
Network Engineer                        Desk:   +61-8-82232999
Internode                               Mobile: +61-416-202-223