Date:      Sun, 23 Jul 1995 19:36:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What people are doing with FBSD

On Sun, 23 Jul 1995, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:

> > > Yes please, context or uni diffs are nice :-).
> >
> > could someone send me a copy of /etc/rc from 2.0.5-RELEASE?  I didn't
> > make a backup copy... and I don't have 2.0.5-RELEASE on my system any
> > more (I have the -SNAP)...  would the rc from the snap do?
>
> You should probably do a diff relative to -current, that is an easy
> file to get via ftp, and an easy file for me to work from with your
> changes.

ok... here comes the patch for /etc/rc:

*** rc.old	Sun Jul 23 19:11:45 1995
--- rc	Sun Jul 23 19:18:08 1995
***************
*** 228,233 ****
--- 228,237 ----
  		(sleep 20; /usr/sbin/kadmind -n >/dev/null 2>&1 &) &
  fi

+ if [ "X${bootpd}" != X"NO" ]; then
+ 	echo -n ' bootpd'; /usr/libexec/bootpd ${bootpd}
+ fi
+
  echo -n ' inetd';		inetd
  echo '.'

and now the patch for /etc/sysconfig (if needed):

*** sysconfig.old	Sun Jul 23 19:21:16 1995
--- sysconfig	Sun Jul 23 19:21:19 1995
***************
*** 143,148 ****
--- 143,152 ----
  # For most hosts, flags should be "-b /etc/namedb/named.boot"
  namedflags="NO"

+ # Set to appropriate flags for bootpd, if you wish to run it,
+ # Typical flags might be "/etc/bootptab"
+ bootpdflags="NO"
+
  # Set to YES if you want to run the X-10 power controller daemon
  xtend=NO

> > > bootp does need to go in, so that looks like the only real one
> > > you have for me :-).  And it is one I some how still have missing from
> > > my current work :-(
> >
> > ok... I have moved xfs, xdm, and pcnfsd to rc.local.. and it fixed my
> > problem with having to run ldconfig in /etc/rc to get the libaries loaded
> > for xfs and xdm...
>
> :-)
>
> > also... I would be willing to modify the /etc/rc script to allow a
> > variable call external (or something like that) that would list the
> > programs that you have added (to replace local).. and then have two
> > variables program and program_path...  and as long as
> > ${program_path}program existed and ${program} != NO, it would run the
> > program with the variables defines in program...  sound good?
>
> I am not quite sure what you are getting at here, perhaps a sample chunk
> of code would show me just what you mean.  Some how I get the feeling
> it is over kill, but perhaps not.

well... I think that this explication would be easier... basicly how the
routes are handled...  but for the daemons loaded in rc.local (yours you
configure)...

> > John-Mark
> >
> > gurney_j@efn.org
> > Modem/FAX: (503) 683-6954   (FreeBSD Box)
>
> Humm.. where are you located?  I am in Gresham, Oregon, just outside of
> Portland.

down in Eugene...  you guys are luck in that you will be able to keep the
503 area code...

John-Mark

gurney_j@efn.org
Modem/FAX: (503) 683-6954   (FreeBSD Box)

Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD (unix)