Date:      Fri, 24 Jan 1997 22:12:46 -0700 (MST)
From:      Neal Fachan <kneel@ishifishy.ishiboo.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Possible projects?

Hello.

Don't know if this is the correct place to put it, so if it
isn't, please redirect me.

I am currently taking an independent study os course here at
UNM (university near money). I am working with Dr. Barne
Maccabe. Figuring that the best way to learn os's is to hack
them, we have decided this will be a project course. Also
figuring that if I work on a toy, there will be no
motivation to finish it; we have decided that I should do
something non-toyish. I have unfortunately not been able to
convert any of the linux using faculty to FreeBSD yet
(though there are a few promising leads...), thus his
suggestions are to do things with linux.  Most of these are
just fixing things, say NFS, TCP, NIS, etc. But I cannot
bear the thought of having to deal with linux, especially at
that level. :-)

So, are there any reasonable projects in the areas of VM or
file-systems that are not too high priority, but at the same
time are desirable, that I could possible work on?  I would
like it to be possible, assuming that I do something
reasonable, for the code to be merged back in the tree; but
at the same time, I am not asking for anyone to just let
some "undergrad who just learned to spell ``C'' last week"
one the team. I am just looking for a promising project.

So is there a to-do list or any other list of ideas? Or
does anyone out there have any ideas? I would say that I am
an intermediate programmer. I have been programming for
about three years, but only one and a half intensely. I am
fluent in C. I have dealt with reasonably large (100k line)
projects in the past...

Thanks for any leads.

--
Neal Fachan         kneel@ishiboo.com