Date:      Thu, 15 Mar 2001 16:11:58 -0500
From:      Keith Stevenson <keith.stevenson@louisville.edu>
To:        Sean Chittenden <sean-freebsd-stable@chittenden.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Perl 5.6 merged soon?

Issue #1 (which is a show-stopper)
----------------------------------
The perl build process is almost 100% incompatible with FreeBSD's buildworld.
To even begin to consider upgrading FreeBSD's perl to v5.6, someone needs to
port the build to work with bmake and fit nicely within FreeBSD's buildworld.
This requires a fair level of understanding with both bmake and perl's build
process.

Several months ago, I spent almost 2 weeks trying to make this work.  I
eventually threw my hands into the air and walked away.  This is not a
trivial exercise.

Once someone has demonstrated how to build perl5.6 in the context of the world,
I'm sure that things will proceed much more quickly.

Regards,
--Keith Stevenson--

--
Keith Stevenson
System Programmer - Data Center Services - University of Louisville