Date:      Fri, 20 Apr 2001 19:08:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        alpha@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   SMP is stable now.  Whee! :)

Hey all.

Drew, Doug, and I have finally gotten this thing mostly whipped.  I haven't
done a buildworld yet, but I've built kernels and then booted them without any
problems.  There are still some issues with some of the accounting on SMP
systems, but UP systems should run fine with the current set of outstanding
patches.  I'd appreciate it if people could test the current set of patches.
You can find them at:

        http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/patches/alpha.smp.patch

So far this has been tested on a dual 4100 with both SMP and UP kernels.
Drew has found a problem with critical_enter/exit, but other than that I expect
it to run fine on SMP 2100's as well.  Also, SMP is noticably faster than UP on
the 4100 I have here to test on at least, which is a good thing. :)

Thanks for testing.