Date:      Tue, 21 Sep 2004 11:55:34 +0200
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@flat.berklix.net>
To:        ceo@l-i-e.com
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hw.pci.allow_unsupported_io_range

There are people on this list know loads more than me, but my little bit:

> This even magically made it possible to reboot (shutdown -r now) without
> pulling power and battery out afterwards!! Yes!!

My laptop (a Toshiba) has a
	"Hold the power button down for 5 long seconds to force
	a power off" facility. Useful on crashes.
If yours does too it'd make your experimenting a bit less painful.

> 'mount' what do I gotta alter in single-user mode to make FreeBSD *not*
> try to bring up the network?  IE, to "undo" the settings altered by
> sysinstall->...configure_network->bfe0 settings.

/etc/rc.conf
	try commenting out with "#" your ifconfig_bfe0=
		to disable just that interface
	or add 	network_interfaces="lo0"	to turn off all but localhost
	see /etc/defaults/rc.conf

/boot/loader.conf
	can hold loads of directives,
#       man acpi
#       man sysctl
#       sysctl -a               # shows all values
#       sysctl -a -d    # Print description instead of value
Good luck.

-
Julian Stacey.  Unix,C,Net & Sys. Eng. Consultant, Munich.  http://berklix.com
Mail in Ascii, Html dumped as Spam.  Ihr Rauch = mein allergischer Kopfschmerz.