Date:      Mon, 22 Oct 2012 21:17:53 +1100
From:      andrew clarke <mail@ozzmosis.com>
To:        Arthur Chance <freebsd@qeng-ho.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: pkgng and the old pkg_* programs

On Sun 2012-10-21 18:10:06 UTC+0100, Arthur Chance (freebsd@qeng-ho.org) wrote:

> Now that portmaster officially supports pkgng I've converted to using
> it. Is there any reason to keep the old pkg_* programs around, or can I
> delete them and add WITHOUT_PKGTOOLS to my /etc/src.conf? I'm running
> RELEASE-9.0 on amd64 and will update to REL-9.1 as soon as it arrives if
> that matters.

I don't think there's any harm in leaving the pkg_* programs there?

Of course if you delete them, a binary upgrade with freebsd-update
will most likely put them back.

I've switched to pkgng on two machines here. Working well so far,
although pkg2ng had some initial problems with the conversion due to
some conflicting files that had been installed by different packages...