Date:      Tue, 14 Jul 1998 16:56:44 -0700
From:      Ken Key <key@Network-Alchemy.COM>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Steve Sizemore <steve@cmpharm.ucsf.edu>
Subject:   Re: 3Com 3C589 Ethernet PC Card

If your running v2.2.6 (straight, PCCARD, no PAO), you might try editing
your /etc/pccard.conf entry to use IRQ 11 instead of IRQ 10.  We could
not get the 3c589D working on IRQ 10 on a pair of DEC Ultra HiNote 2000's
the other day, always winning the nebulous "resource allocation failure".
Kurt Windisch was have the same problem and came up with the IRQ change.
Also, don't use those IRQ's to stir the entropy pool, like one of my
users had done.  That one was tough to find...

Also, you might want to hang out on FreeBSD-Mobile.  I'd say that most
of the main cast of characters there use 3c589D's.  I'm happy with my
trusty, slow,  4-year old LinkSys and the ed driver.  It's survived
3 laptops and 5 OS's so far, knock on wood.

regards,
Ken Key
--
Ken Key (key@Network-Alchemy.com)