Date:      Thu, 26 Oct 2000 17:25:02 +0400
From:      "Alexei V. Alexandrov" <ava@elcomsoft.com>
To:        Sven.Huster@t-online.de
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: high availability by routing?

Hello Sven,

SHtod> hi there,

SHtod> at the moment i have following setup:

SHtod> |isp| --- |my router| -- |switch| -- |loadbalancer| -- |web farm|

SHtod> i want to improve availability by adding a second loadbalancer and
SHtod> a second router + a second connection to my network provider to
SHtod> eliminate the single point of failure (i know about the single
SHtod> switch).

SHtod> so the setup then will be:

SHtod> |   | -- |router 1| -- |      | -- |loadbalancer 1| -- |        |
SHtod> |isp|                  |switch|                        |web farm|
SHtod> |   | -- |router 2| -- |      | -- |loadbalancer 2| -- |        |

SHtod> but
SHtod> 1. how is routing managed between isp and my routers?
SHtod> 2. what happends if one router fails or one isp connection is broken?
SHtod> 3. how does the loadbalancer recongnizes that one router fails?
SHtod> 4. how do i tell my routers to distribute traffic between the
SHtod>    loadbalancers equal?
SHtod> 5. how can i handle the failure of one loadbalancer?

I  think the best way is to get connected with another ISP. This gives
the  opportunity  if  one of them is down there is always another one.
There     is     HOWTO     on    the    net    about    multihoming
(http://noc.comstar.ru/miscdocs/multi.html). Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Alexei V. Alexandrov                   [AA4460, AVA32-RIPN, AA1829-RIPE]