Date:      Fri, 13 Feb 2004 15:45:07 +0100 (CET)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?Claus=20Guttesen?= <cguttesen@yahoo.dk>
To:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Cc:        cguttesen@yahoo.dk
Subject:   re: trouble with K8T Master2-FAR (dual Opteron) (solved)

> I'm trying to install FreeBSD/amd64 to dual Opteron
> machine.

>  M/B: MSI K8T Master2-FAR
>  CPU: AMD Opteron 240 x 2
>  Mem: 512MB x 2 ( in Slot 1 and 3, Single channel)

>I had some trouble with this installation.

Hi.

Acquired the same board Opteron 242. Experienced the
same panic using acpi with 5.2 and 5.2.1 RC.

I went into the BIOS, then 'Advanced BIOS Features'
and changed 'MPS Version Control for OS' _from_ 1.4 to
1.1. This enabled the second CPU.

Using the stock 5.2 install-CD will make the board
panic if it's soft-rebooted (like shutdown -r now). So
I had to swicth it completely off and on again.

I have just cvsup'ed to current as of Feb. 13'th 2004
approx. 13.00 GMT, and the above mentioned hard reboot
apperantly is _not_ necessary.

I'm using BIOS ver. 1.1.

I tried to subscibe to the amd64-list, but did not yet
receive any verification.

Hope this helps.

This was purely trial-and-error, so I was very pleased
with the fact that I didn't have to use the i386-port.

regards
Claus

Yahoo! Mail (http://dk.mail.yahoo.com) - Gratis: 6 MB lagerplads, spamfilter og virusscan