Date:      Wed, 16 Aug 2000 09:50:07 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Ross A Lippert" <ripper@plato.nmia.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   irq not in bitmap

(after all the helpful advice I got on freebsd-mobile for my
laptop I took another stab at my desktop)

OK, the soundcard is being detected, but the modem still
isn't with the same old "irq not in bitmap of probed irq's"
message.

(and for those who remember my messages on this, I have tried
PNPBIOS with and without, I have editted the sio.c file to put
the modem's isaPNP id in there, etc etc)

My question is this:

I read once that the COM resources and the IRQ resources are
independent from each other in the sense that modems don't
really use the IRQ they are on, just the COM (whatever that
means, I'm not hardware oriented).  Is it possible that my
modem (a cheap generic 56K isapnp) is not in the irq bitmap
because it really isn't using any irq??

I'm not on the list, so reply personally.  Thanks.

tearing my hair out,
Ross