Date:      Thu, 14 Dec 2017 13:58:38 -0800
From:      Mark Millard <markmi@dsl-only.net>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@pdx.rh.CN85.dnsmgr.net>
Cc:        bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net>, freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Filesystem full, but df says not.

On 2017-Dec-14, at 12:56 PM, Rodney W. Grimes <freebsd-rwg at =
pdx.rh.CN85.dnsmgr.net> wrote:

>>> On 2017-Dec-14, at 11:00 AM, bob prohaska <fbsd at www.zefox.net> =
wrote:
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>> Believe the above low-level messages.
>>=20
>> And be aware that when a cg checksum fails that CG's freespace is no
>> longer avaliable to be used until the CG checksum has been corrected
>> by a fsck.
>>=20
>> You are probably moving your file system accross the "has CG =
checksum"
>> and "does not have CG checksum" boundary and when you do that your
>> older kernel does not write the checksum and your newer kernel gets
>> upset about that.
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>> This error is correct, as the free space in your CG is not avaliable =
as
>> that CG has failed chksum.=20

I see. Just not how I took the phrase "filesystem is full".
Now the file system can be full when df shows space available.
That will tend to seem odd to folks.

>>>=20
>>> My guess:
>>>=20
>>> Other places likely translate the more detailed error
>>> classification to more generic classifications that
>>> hopefully result in an appropriate handling of the issue
>>> but is otherwise not necessarily correct.
>>=20
>> It is correct as stated, for the reasons I state.
>>=20
>>>=20
>>> In other words: do not believe the later related messages
>>> in all its detail.
>>=20
>> Oh believe it!

Sorry for the misinterpretation.

>> .
>> Mounting late filesystems:.
>> Dec 14 10:08:56 www kernel: pid 1394 (cp), uid 0 inumber 53912 on /: =
filesystem full
>>=20
>> Root is on the microSD card, /usr /var /tmp and swap are on usb =
flash.
>>=20
>> Nevertheless, it reached multi-user and allowed me  to  ssh in and =
run df,
>> which reported
>> Filesystem             1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted =
on
>> /dev/ufs/rootfs          1473116   479936   875332    35%    /
>> devfs                          1        1        0   100%    /dev
>> /dev/msdosfs/MSDOSBOOT     51140     7588    43552    15%    =
/boot/msdos
>> /dev/da0e               52221244 28697844 19345704    60%    /usr
>> /dev/da0d                3044988   517860  2283532    18%    /tmp
>> /dev/da0a                2031132   122868  1745776     7%    /var

The above sort of result becomes the odd thing
for people to understand the classification.

> This activity probably did not depend on the bad cylinder
> checksums.
>=20
>> Still, any activity that wrote to disk repeated the filesystem full =
error.
>>=20
>> This happened with three different kernels, dating Dec 12, 7 and Aug =
26.
>> Running fsck -fy once in single user didn't seem to help, although it=20=

>> finished without obvious errors. Running fsck -fy repeatedly in =
single-user=20
>> seems to have cleared the error, but it's a surprising development.
>=20

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
markmi at dsl-only.net